Wednesday, August 03, 2005

illustration friday: aging

Here's a quick painting and a first post for Illustration Friday. The topic is aging. The first things that came to my mind were: old people, redwoods and mount rushmore (it recently had a "face lift"). But then this morning as I opened up the curtains the sunlight revealed on my desk a sheet of cake drawings I did a couple of weeks ago for my book.

That was my lightbulb moment for today. I thought hey a cake would be great! It's not necessarily something that ages, but more like something that signifies age. Like a cane, or bengay or something. I thought of putting a fire extinguisher beside the cake but decided not to. I don't even know how many candles are on it. I think over 40. Anyhow, I'm glad I stumbled upon illustration friday, this was fun to do.

cake is digital

6 comments:

Angie said...

great birthday cake!! A cake is a good idea for this topic too. I considered drawing one myself but changed my mind.

Jules said...

It's great! What's your book?

Eren said...

Thanks for the comments! I'm currently writing and illustrating a children's book and the story takes place at a birthday party. I drew a bunch of cakes and picked this one to paint.

Unknown said...

:)) CUTE!

Grangry said...

Nice interpretation of the theme.

Irma said...

Really nice! I love the style!