Monday, July 09, 2012

penny lane


(Penny Lane, Gouache) 

Here's my painting for "All Together Now: A Tribute to the Beatles" at Gallery Nucleus. I was so thrilled when I was asked to participate. I didn't have much time to work on this piece, but since I am a HUGE Beatles fan, I squeezed in some painting time. I wish I had a better image, but this is the photo I took at the opening of the show. 

I knew I didn't want to illustrate just the band members- though that would have been totally cool. I had a few songs in mind that inspired all kinds of visuals. I decided on "Penny Lane" because the song feels like something that could be out of a children's book.

I attended the opening of the show, and it was one of the best openings I've ever been to. I think that had a lot to do with the fact that I'm a big fan, and the gallery was filled with fans and live music by a Beatles tribute band. The atmosphere was just so perfect and fun. It was also pretty cool that Sir Ian McKellen was also in attendance! 

The show runs from July 7th - July 29th at Gallery Nucleus. You can also view all the amazing artwork online here, though it's much better to see in person if you're in the area!